Final evaluation
My media product were made using InDesign
and Photoshop. My front cover was made in Photoshop as an a4. My context page
and my double page spread was made using InDesign as a double page spread. For my main front cover I used vibe magazine
like a guide and a blueprint to making my magazine. I have chosen vibe because
it is a same genre as my magazine. The vibe masthead changed colour but the
font of the masthead stayed the same. The colour of the masthead changed according
to the model or celebrity in the front cover. My artist/model is more appealing
to girls much like Robin thicke in the front cover of the magazine. This is why
decided to use the pink as one of the main colour throughout my magazine not
only my front cover. Also Vibe magazine uses their skyline to give exclusive
insight of the magazine and it includes few cover line. This is one of the
special features that only vibe magazine dose. Similarly for my magazine I have
decided to place my main cover line in the middle of the page. I made the
background of the main cover line very transparent so it does not stand out
more than the model. This is because the model is my first priority. Although I have changed some of element I
have decided to keep some of the elements so it looks like a magazine still. I
have decided to make my background black and white. I made the background by
drawing black thick line on a white a4 page. I also added shadow to the main
model to make the background look more realistic. The light source that is
hitting my model is coming from the left side and hitting the left side of his
face. The shadows are opposite to the light source this makes it seem even more
realistic.My content page carry on the theme colour
set by the front cover, which is black white and pink. I have used the artist
picture also the content page. My magazine is also focused on fashion. In the
content page you can clearly see the outfit my model is wearing. I also have
two pictures but it is without any brief description of it. I have decided to
challenge this element of the content page. I deliberately done this to make
the audience wonder what it could be and create a sense of mysterious, hidden
and exclusive story. My content page is set out in two coulombs regulars and
features. My regular coulomb containing my regular’s stories and my features
coulomb containing only the exclusive and special stories for that specific
magazine. In my double page spread I
have also decided to challenge few elements. My title is highlighted in black
colour ink and placed right beside my first line instead of the traditional
title where it is placed at the top and it is usually big and bold.
My magazine will be mostly aimed at 15 to 30 year old male
and females. My audience will mainly be people that come from a black
background as hip-hop and rnb is really popular within their ethnicity. The
primary demographic of hip-hop consists of mainly working class. However the
success of hip hop means that it now has a wider audience. This means that my
magazine will also appeal to the suburban areas. A huge aspect of hip-hop is to
focus on fashion, pop-culture and black history. The target audience embodies
this in their lifestyle and in the cultures ever changing trends. There is a
use of slang in the interview but mostly it is kept clean and uses formal
language throughout the interview. The representation of the artist king j in
the double page spread is very truthful. It is a positive representation of the
artist however there are some negative aspect that comes with it too. The
negative aspect of the artist comes with the genre as artist usually rap about
the struggle and poverty which are relatable by the working class. Most rappers
if not all the hip-hop artist were born into a working class home and had to
grow up struggling. I have challenged few stereotypes with my magazine as I
have used the colour pink throughout my whole magazine. This connotes that my
magazine is female friendly and it so not the old hard type of hip hop magazine.
The setting of the image is quite urban. This urban setting will appeal to my
target audience.
For my magazine publisher I have chosen the distributer to
be bauer. This is because Bauer Media UK reaches over 22 million UK consumers
every week through a portfolio of world-class, multi-platform media and
entertainment brands including heat, Kiss, Grazia, Empire, Magic and Absolute
Radio. Another reason for this is because it distributes mainly music magazine
so there will have lots of knowledge and expertise about this field of work.
bauer media is the Europe’s largest privately owned publishing Group. The Group
is a worldwide media empire offering over 300 magazines in 15 countries, as
well as online, TV and radio stations. Bauer media seems to have a lot of
experience and knowledge about the music industry so they will distribute my
magazine to the right audience. Bauer media is also linked with a lot of music
label and industries, which will help my magazine to help it grown and expand
my business into other countries.
My typical audience would be young adult or a teenager that
would be up to date with the latest fashion trends music and urban culture. While
hip-hop music has proven to transcend race and gender, the average fan, like
many of the artists themselves, is decidedly young. They also crave the latest
everything from music to gear to high-tech electronics. They want to look good.
They’re into anything popular, anything cool and whatever the rage is. My
typical audience would probably be from the working or middle class background.
People who listen to R&b/hip music
also listen to radio and TV stations, for example, MTV BASE, Radio1 Extra and
Kiss. These stations play a ton of R&b and hip jump tunes so this is the
reason they are listened to purchase youngsters and adolescent grown-ups. They
purchase garments from stores, for example, Nike, Adidas, Hugo Boss, Prada and
Giorgio Armani. They wear snazzy and high mold garments along these lines might
want to see these kinds of garments worn of the model on the title page of the
magazine.
As I thought about my audience I have decided to set a tone
for my mise-en-scene. hip-hop oriented mise-en-scene is crucial. I have used
high key lighting in my front cover to highlight wealth, power, and success.
This will appeal to the wishes and hopes of the lower class. My model is making
direct eye contact with the audience to attract them. My target audience will
be attracted to slang as it is part of the urban culture. “King of the west” I
have used this as my title because ownership and status is viewed in the urban
culture as prestigious and seen as a good thing. Rappers or artist who has
higher status are seen as the king pin and people view them as leaders of the
rap culture. I have decided to mostly
use formal language throughout my interview because I want my audience to be a
wide spread throughout the working, middle and higher class. I have used the
colour scheme black white and pink. The black and white connotes the diversity
and the pink connotes the gay and the lesbian community. This is the audience
feedback that my classmate has provided. I have learned that most people would
buy my product as it is very cheap and it is well worth the money because it is
40-50 pages long depending on the issue. My classmate agrees that I covered all
the main points and overall the feedback were positive. There is no significant
amount of error but one of my classmates pointed out that i should have
included my flat plan in the power point presentation. Overall i am happy with
the power point and how it went. Also I feel good moving to the next step as i
believe that i barely have errors. I have used this to improve my magazine in
various different ways.
I have learnt how to use the studio in good effect. I have
learnt about the 3 point lighting system and how to use it properly. Also I
have learned how to use the dslr cameras. Some of the images that I took using
the dslr camera came out to be blurry. This is because the camera did not focus
properly but you could not spot it in the screen using the dslr screen. I only
realised this half way through my photo-shoot. After that for each photograph I
gave the camera signifant amount of time to let the camera focus. Throughout
the whole process of making a front cover I have learned a lot about Photoshop.
I have gained insight knowledge from my teacher and from YouTube about the
tools. One of the most important tools was the gradient tool. It let me change
the background of many things and it and features that allowed me to tweak
things. Also I have used the transformation to move crop my images. I have also
used the transformation tool to make the shadow of my model. My colour scheme
was black white and pink however I wanted my pink to be a bright and eye
catching pink. Once I chosen the pink colour from the colour panel I noted down
the code for that panel so next time I used it I would just have to type in the
code and the exact colour would be selected.
I have learnt that how to use photoshop and its different types
of tools. Also I have learnt how to make my magazine look professional by using
cover line, masthead and skyline. Also I have learnt how important it is to
have appropriate lighting for the appropriate type of magazine. In my collage
magazine I did not have a theme colour and it made it look as if it had no sort
of branding or identity. it was just made for little purpose. However my music
magazine had a theme colour where it built an identity to the audience and left
a mark. Theme colour, font and masthead were all done in a unique way for the
purpose of creating a unique brand and identity. Whereas in my collage magazine
I felt like it was not that unique it was very simple. I have learnt a lot of
stuff while making my music magazine. But the simplest thing I did that tuned
out to be the most significant thing was my background. I created using the
black rectangle tool and placed them in order. This actually turned out to be a
quite unique background and had what I liked about it was that it was different
to other backgrounds that use the gradient tool to make it.
No comments:
Post a Comment